Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I feel fatigue and sleepy-please help me
Jan 31, 2002

Dear Dr. Frascino, You are really a TRUE HERO. I am in sympathy with your bad luck and I commend your courage and altruism to work here. I am a little chicken compared to you. (Shame on myself) But I still have a "little" problem: Four days ago, I met a guy on the internet and I invited him for dinner two days ago. We ended up caressing and masturbating. He cummed on my pubic hair and I slightly wiped that off with a paper towel (without using antiseptic)Then he jerked me off again with his hand (without having first sanitized his hand after his cum. So there may be some residual of semens left on his hand, although we did lightly clean his hand with a towel without using antiseptic)

Since then I was in panic and was searching for HIV info on the internet over and over again. Although I know the chance for infection is small, I know there is still a possibility there!

Starting today, I feel very sleepy even though I had eight hours of sleep last night. I also feel a bit of fatigue even; I also feel a bit of back pain, and joint pain...I am not sure whether the cause is pychological or physiological in nature.

Also, according to CDC, it is not so easy to catch HIV. But it seems many people have been just very unlucky (like yourself) I am worried about the possibility of being very unlucky.

I hope you can answer my question. Why do I feel so sleepy? I even feel I lack the energy to type or to walk or to think. I also feel that I can not focus....

Also if I don't get a fever and a rash within the next 4 to 6 weeks, does it mean chances I have been unharmed by the mistakes I made two days ago??

Please help me

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Now exactly what mistake did you make 2 days ago? Your actions complied with safer sex guidelines. Therefore, your risk is essentially zero. What did you want to do -- dip the guy in bleach after every kiss? Sex is supposed to be enjoyable, remember. Why are you fatigued now? The most likely reason is stress and anxiety over possible infection. However, based on your very safe sexual encounter, you most certainly are not infected. So, you are "worried sick" or worried well, depending on your perspective. Remember, in my case, I got stabbed and cut with a bloody needle from a patient who had advanced-stage AIDS. Even with that level of exposure, my risk was only 1 in 300. OK? Now, wipe that thick layer of antibiotic/antiseptic ointment off your dinner date, give him a kiss, and relax.

Continue playing safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Blood in drinking water
Next
to woohoo!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.