Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Better nutrition seems to be helping
Jan 31, 2002

I still don't have the copper pan to make zabaglione, but I think I know where to find it in SF, I'm much better at ordering than cooking though. I think part of my low energy problem was just not getting enough protein as I started to have a distaste for meat several months ago, wasn't making up for it with anything else either. Then when I felt so awful recently, I hardly ate at all. After browsing a book in a store that suggested a greater need for protein, I started eating more and taking a few other vitamins more frequently. My energy seems to be returning, at this time I don't seem to be anemic, although with the meds I'll have to continue to watch for it. Hopefully I'll be back to my regular exercise routine soon. It is so scary to not be able to get out of bed for days on end and not have any idea if it will change. KW

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey KW,

Welcome back to the forum and thanks for the follow-up. Yes, yes, yes, lack of attention to basic human needs like getting adequate rest, sleep, nutrition, and exercise are frequently contributing factors to HIV-related fatigue. It seems obvious in retrospect, doesn't it? After all, would we really expect our cars to function if we didn't put gas and oil in them? Making some relatively simple lifestyle changes - diet, exercise, rest, decreased stress, etc. - can make a very significant difference in how we feel and function. Check out the expert forum on nutrition to get more information. Increased protein is essential and don't forget to get back to the gym soon. So KW, how about we go for a workout and then have a high-protein non-fat yogurt very berry smoothie before settling down to a roast chicken dinner and relaxing with a good book, some soothing tunes, or entertaining TV show (Sex and the City? The Sopranos?) and then turning in early for a great night's rest? Hey KW . . . . I was only speaking metaphorically. What are you doing in my bed???

Stay well and Bon appetite!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Fatigue only.....and your wings?
Next
tired

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.