Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fatigue only.....and your wings?
Jan 31, 2002

Dear Rob, In your experience, how many cases have you heard of people that reported fatigue as the only symptom during ARS and then turned out to be +? I had a low risk exposure and 2 weeks later I experienced intermitent fatigue for two consecutive weeks, and then it went away. Is fatigue usually seen as the ONLY symptom during ARS? It's been five weeks now and no fever, rash, headaches, swollen nodes nor sore thorat...YET. I'm scared to go for a test. Thanks for your reply. PS. You're an angel doing a terrific job for God down here on Earth, where did you leave your wings? (I bet He's very proud of you).

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Fatigue can be a symptom of ARS, but usually it is not the only symptom. The "classic" ARS has typical flu-like symptoms and a rash. Many people have seroconverted without even remembering ARS-type symptoms, so these symptoms can be mild. If your exposure was low-risk, then your chance of being infected is also low. Don't count on ARS-like symptoms to give you an answer. Otherwise, everyone with the flu would think they were HIV-positive. Just try to remember HIV is quite difficult to catch. Even with my extremely high-risk exposure of sustaining a hollow-bore needle stick and laceration while performing a procedure on a patient with advanced-stage AIDS, my risk of contracting HIV was only 1 in 300. That means the odds are that one in every 300 episodes like mine would result in a seroconversion. I was the 1 in 300. So it does happen, but your risk would be much lower, so your chances of infection likewise are much, much lower. More than likely, you are negative. However, if you remain concerned, then you'll have to find the courage to get tested. The only scary part is not knowing. I strongly doubt you have anything to worry about. I'll send an angel to watch over you, OK? I'd come myself if I could only find those misplaced wings.

Stay well,

Dr. Bob

Previous
proud to share my story
Next
Better nutrition seems to be helping

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.