Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sick mom reassurance.
Jan 23, 2002

Hello Again~

My neck of the woods is kind of out here...2 hours from Idaho and 2.5 from Montana. Yes...the middle of Nowhere. We are a mining community and most of the workers are gone to the mine 4 days at a time. Is that sad or what. Yes, My friend has done taco bell and burger king...I have been there a few times too. Anyway, to my point here. I am trying really hard to forget about this HIV thing and move on. I actually stayed off of this website for 3 days! In your original response to my "Desperate mom" question, you said that my test was - at 11+ weeks. The safe sex forum says it has to be 12 weeks or it is not accurate. I am sure those are the guidlines so I am not trying to critisize but could you please tell me if 11 weeks 2 days is close enough for that 99.8 accuracy...and considering a p-24 test; would that be considered the push over to the twelve weeks edge? Okay, I had bad dreams all weekend about giving it to all my family.

Hey, thanks a ton for putting up with me. I got your service organization address from another question. I think that will be the best way for me to help is to contribute...what do you think? Hey, you really ought to consider doing the safe sex forum as well(Like you have time right). Go have some yummy pasta. I get to go to the Olive Garden when I go for an ultrasound in two weeks!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Welcome back! My, my, my, how did you wind up in the middle of Nowhere? Gee, and I thought my sense of direction was bad! So the miners take off 4 days at a time? Are you sure they are going to the mines? Maybe they hop a flight (or buffalo, or whatever is out your way) and head straight for the big city for some fun and fine food!

As for your question - does 11+ weeks plus a negative p-24 test equal the 12-week guideline? Well, if you asked a mathematician, 11+ would never quite equal 12; however, when it comes to HIV testing, a very low-risk exposure in the middle of Nowhere ...yes, indeed, you can feel confident that your tests are very accurate and you can move on with your life. The bad dreams were just that - bad dreams. I'm sure they stem from your ongoing worry. Sure, you could have another test. It will be negative. And then you could have another and it would be negative as well, and then . . . . and then . . . .I'm sure you get my point. At some point, you have to actually believe you are really negative; otherwise the guilt and bad dreams will continue. I really think you've beaten yourself up enough (way too much, actually) for your indiscretion. The activity was very low-risk, and there's an excellent chance your friend is not even positive. So, Mom, take a big breath, smile, go make a batch of brownies or popcorn, curl up with a good book (Harry Potter series?) or movie, and rest assured that all is well - including you!

Thanks for your interest in my foundation! We're currently working to help provide HIV-infected pregnant women in Africa obtain medication so they won't pass the virus on to their unborn children.

Stay well, be happy, and enjoy that trip to the Olive Garden!

Dr. Bob

Previous
About a condom
Next
Can Low Testosterone Occur Early in HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.