hiv - What source?

My husband recently applied for update in life assurance. He was given the usual blood test - this came back HIV positive. We had to consult with our local GP. He has sent for a re-test. My question is: My husband and I have had a no other partners besides each other (married for 24 years). No blood transfusions, no contact with any situation involving blood etc. We have normal treatments like dentists, gynaecological tests, and my husband had a vasectomy two years ago. We are devastated with the news as it seems unreal - like being charged for a murder you never committed. Is there some other way he could have contracted this because it seems there are very specific ways of getting the AIDS virus. An answer would be immensely appreciated. Kind regards Baffled

Hi Baffled,

If your history is 100% accurate, then the only explanation is a laboratory error or "false" positive test. You should have the answer to that possibility be getting a repeat test performed. If that test confirms your husband is HIV-positive, then there are 2 things you should do. First, you'll need to be tested and second, you need to have a heart-to-heart talk with your hubby. HIV can only be transmitted 3 ways - by blood, sex, or from an HIV-positive mother to her child. There are no other options. If he tries to tell you maybe it was a mosquito, you should know that that would only be possible of the mosquito was large enough to have sex with.

I don't mean to be insensitive to your situation. I know how devastating this news is, even when expected, let alone when it's completely unexpected. I'm certainly hoping this was just a lab error or false positive. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your husband!

Good luck!

Another chance for fatherhood - follow up question
Sick mom