Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv - What source?
Jan 17, 2002

My husband recently applied for update in life assurance. He was given the usual blood test - this came back HIV positive. We had to consult with our local GP. He has sent for a re-test. My question is: My husband and I have had a no other partners besides each other (married for 24 years). No blood transfusions, no contact with any situation involving blood etc. We have normal treatments like dentists, gynaecological tests, and my husband had a vasectomy two years ago. We are devastated with the news as it seems unreal - like being charged for a murder you never committed. Is there some other way he could have contracted this because it seems there are very specific ways of getting the AIDS virus. An answer would be immensely appreciated. Kind regards Baffled

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Baffled,

If your history is 100% accurate, then the only explanation is a laboratory error or "false" positive test. You should have the answer to that possibility be getting a repeat test performed. If that test confirms your husband is HIV-positive, then there are 2 things you should do. First, you'll need to be tested and second, you need to have a heart-to-heart talk with your hubby. HIV can only be transmitted 3 ways - by blood, sex, or from an HIV-positive mother to her child. There are no other options. If he tries to tell you maybe it was a mosquito, you should know that that would only be possible of the mosquito was large enough to have sex with.

I don't mean to be insensitive to your situation. I know how devastating this news is, even when expected, let alone when it's completely unexpected. I'm certainly hoping this was just a lab error or false positive. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your husband!

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Another chance for fatherhood - follow up question
Next
Sick mom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.