Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nine year old with low hemocrit
Jan 13, 2002

My daughter has a hemocrit of 35 and hemoglobin of 11.8. She is nine and has been acting unusually tired for at least a month. Are those hemocrit and hemoglobin levels normal for her age? Or what could they be caused by? Thank you!

Response from Dr. Frascino

This site is for HIV-related fatigue and anemia problems. IS your daughter HIV-positive? If so, write back with a bit more information. I'll need to know her medications, viral load, and a bit more of her history. If she is not HIV-positive, check with her pediatrician. Her hemoglobin is just slightly low and may or may not be contributing to her fatigue problem. I'd probably guess it's not contributing, but it's worth discussing your daughter's tiredness with her pediatrician and also checking to see if the hemoglobin was just transiently slightly low or if it is trending downward. There are many potential causes, including hereditary conditions, iron or vitamin deficiencies, blood loss, etc.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Roby!
Next
fellow italian just once more, pleeease?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.