OK to donate blood?

Dr. Frascino,

I've been wanting to donate blood every since the events of Sept. 11th. However, I did have an unprotected exposure in May and was hesitant to donate until I tested for HIV through my physician. My HIV test was negative and it was taken past the window period (7+ months). Am I safe to donate now?

Absolutely. Thank you for your willingness to donate blood and for your concern about not donating following a high-risk exposure. Yes, your negative test 7 months after a possible exposure is outside the window period. Also, all units of blood are now screened for HIV and hepatitis before being used for transfusion.

Stay well,

Desperate mom thanks you.
Procrit vs Steroids