Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DESPERATE MOM
Jan 5, 2002

Dear Dr. Bob,

Yes, I guess we worried well do enjoy a sick sense of twisted humor but your answers seem to be more straight forward and less open-ended. That is probably why we come to you. I know there are many who are pos and really need this forum and I am sorry for taking this time from them. IM FEELING RATHER DESPARATE THOUGH. I "borrowed" another woman's vibrator.(We did not use it together.) I have had one cold, sore-throat, fatigue, and many other "illnesses" after another. I shared my fork with my seven year old and he had a cut in his mouth. My two year old is constantly sharing food and many other things with me and she bit my 5 year old. My husband has a strange, almost eczema rash all over his legs and I have it in the crooks of my arms. To kick it all off, I am pregnant. Now, my panic all started when I read some disclaimer when a service group I am in went to donate blood. It was about HIV. Since then I have been panicked. I counted the weeks and it was 11wks 2-4days from the day I used her vibrator and the blood bank called me back to donate 8 weeks later. Would that mean I DO NOT have HIV and I am freaking myself out? Was that long enough time for them to pick it up? Could the virus have lived for at least a couple of hours(maybe more) on the Vibrator?

I would also like to know how someone like me could help others. Are there groups via the internet because my state out here in the west is fairly backwards and still thinks HIV is only in "the big city".

I am sorry for asking you this and taking up your time. I just need a clearer, perhaps, blunt answer to these questions.

PS. How do you cope with HIV? I can't even seem to cope with the thought of it?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Do you gals really "borrow" each other's vibrators? What was the matter with yours? I knew you might borrow each other's earrings, dresses, or perhaps boyfriends, but vibrators? OK, never mind. OK dear, "the clearer, perhaps blunt answer" is that you are not sick - except perhaps for that "sick" twisted sense of humor. I, of course, admire that in a person! Your HIV test was negative at 11+ weeks. Your exposure risk was minimal at best. Most likely, the other woman was not even positive and hopefully she cleans off her sex toys after every session. Although, I still think you should each play with your own toys from now on, OK?

So with your frequent colds, sore throats, fatigue, your 2-year-old biting your 5-year-old, and your 7-year-old with the cut in his mouth, your rash-ridden husband and not to mention your pregnancy, I would say you have your hands full and don't need anything else to worry about. So you can stop freaking yourself out about this non-existent problem, OK?

As for how you can help others, there are a wide variety of AIDS service organizations, often even in "fairly backwards" states out west. Start by checking with any local (or nearest big city) groups, as it's vitally important to let everyone know HIV is not "only in the big city!"

Finally, how do I cope with HIV? I hope I cope with it well! Life is often measured in the wrong dimension - length. I feel it should be measured in depth. My life, even with HIV, is deep and meaningful. Life, even with its challenges, is a gift that I enjoy immensely. It's true that in the game of life, you can't choose your cards. However, you can choose how to play those cards!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
best anemia treatment
Next
Desperate mom thanks you.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.