HIV positive??

Is it possible to be HIV positive for 14 years,not on any anti-viral medication,without any symptoms other than occasional vaginal yeast infection and gastritis? Also if my WBC count is within normal range, including the lymphocytes does it mean that the CD4 and CD8 count is normal? I've recently had a negative ELISA test, but I was told by another physician that I am HIV+. Haven't taken a PCR test yet. Anxious

Hello Anxious,

And this other "physician" told you that you were HIV+ because you have a negative ELISA? Hmmm, something isn't adding up here.

To answer your question, can you be essentially symptom-free for 14 years and still be HIV-positive with a normal WBC count? Well, yes, anything is possible, but not very likely. There are folks called "long-term non-progressors," who are HIV+, but remain essentially well for many, many years. From what you told me, you are most likely negative and the physician was confused.

Go ahead and get another test. If it's negative, as I suspect, please tell that "other" physician exactly what you think of him/her. If by some highly unusual circumstance you're positive, write back if you need additional information from any of our expert forums.

Happy Holidays,

swollen parotid glands
One last time