swollen parotid glands

Dr. Bob-

Please forgive me for writing to you about my concerns about symptoms following a "low risk" exposure, but I am feeling run down by all the information and symptoms and would like input from someone who has personal experience with HIV and an upbeat attitude towards facing the disease. Since my exposure, I have had generalized itching, night sweats, weight loss (158 at 5'11), pain and cramping in buttocks, most recently swelling glands in neck, scratchy throat, mild cought, what concerned the doctor was my mildy swollen parotid glands. I tested negative at 7 weeks. She suggested I wait and test at six months. Although I still hope to be negative, with all the physical evidence, I am prepared to deal with being positive (albiet, very scared) are parotid swellings considered fairly diagnostic and should I get the test now. (eleven weeks post exposure) Please help. Thank you.

You should pose question to The Safer Sex Forum, but I'll answer briefly. Your exposure is "low risk." Your symptoms are not characteristic of HIV. Parotid gland swelling is characteristic of mumps, not necessarily HIV. If you're concerned and don't want to wait the full six months, get a PCR test. It will let you know right now, absolutely one way or the other. I strongly feel that you'll be negative. And then you can be further evaluated for the real (not HIV) causes of your parotid gland swelling.

muscle weakness but no muscle tone loss????
HIV positive??