The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

swollen parotid glands
Dec 30, 2001

Dr. Bob-

Please forgive me for writing to you about my concerns about symptoms following a "low risk" exposure, but I am feeling run down by all the information and symptoms and would like input from someone who has personal experience with HIV and an upbeat attitude towards facing the disease. Since my exposure, I have had generalized itching, night sweats, weight loss (158 at 5'11), pain and cramping in buttocks, most recently swelling glands in neck, scratchy throat, mild cought, what concerned the doctor was my mildy swollen parotid glands. I tested negative at 7 weeks. She suggested I wait and test at six months. Although I still hope to be negative, with all the physical evidence, I am prepared to deal with being positive (albiet, very scared) are parotid swellings considered fairly diagnostic and should I get the test now. (eleven weeks post exposure) Please help. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


You should pose question to The Safer Sex Forum, but I'll answer briefly. Your exposure is "low risk." Your symptoms are not characteristic of HIV. Parotid gland swelling is characteristic of mumps, not necessarily HIV. If you're concerned and don't want to wait the full six months, get a PCR test. It will let you know right now, absolutely one way or the other. I strongly feel that you'll be negative. And then you can be further evaluated for the real (not HIV) causes of your parotid gland swelling.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

muscle weakness but no muscle tone loss????
HIV positive??

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint