worried well

Dear Doctor, I am an HIV pos. gay guy and getting extremly annoyed to start reading all these worried well questions just to go to the next after realizing what the content is. I am reading with great interest all questions and answers in all forums. I think I like yours the best. Great humor!! Please try to ignore these questions as I am getting tired of clicking on all these links before reading a question which concerns us - the positive folks. I am sure you would do us all a big favor. Maybe you should host an additional "worried well" forum since you are in such demand" ;-) Bon natale!! Jack NY

Hello NY Jack,

Thanks for writing. And you are absolutely right. This forum is exclusively dedicated to HIV-related fatigue and anemia questions. Worried well inquiries are best handled in our forum on Safer Sex and HIV Prevention. The "worried well" questions I do post are only a very small fraction of the ones that come to my mailbox. Having read some of these, I'm sure you can appreciate how desperate some of the "well" folks are. Perhaps they turn to my forum because I'm HIV-positive or perhaps they just enjoy a mildly twisted sense of humor. At any rate, your suggestion about getting more help at the "worried well" (Safer Sex/HIV Prevention) forum is a good one and should be passed on to The Body's executive offices.

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention to all the "worried wells" who are waiting for a reply from me that, although I would like to respond to each and every one of you, I cannot do so in this forum. This site is for folks like Jack who are confirmed HIV-positive and seeking information about fatigue and anemia. Please don't think I'm ignoring you or that I don't care. I honestly do. Those of you who have been reading this forum for a while should realize that.

In general, you should also realize that the term "worried well" is very well suited to the vast majority of these questions. That is, you are "worried" and you are "well!" Most of your worries are unfounded, and when you finally do get tested, the results are usually negative. Get help coping with your fears and guilt, if needed, through counseling, anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medications, support groups, etc.

Well, Jack, perhaps you're really annoyed at me by now. I've managed to put a "worried well" general notice into your posting asking me to ignore these folks!!! Pretty damn nervy of me, isn't it? I must admit I do have difficulty not responding to folks in need. I guess I'm just a boy who can't say no. But, I'll promise you 2 things: First, if you ever have a question on anemia, fatigue, or a related topic, I will answer your query promptly and second, I'll do my best to keep the forum focused on us HIV positoids. Thanks again for taking the time to write. Are you NY Jack as in Big Apple or NY Jack as in Snowbound Buffalo? (I'm originally from Rochester.) Either way, I'm sending you major karma for every happiness in the New Year. By the way, if you're a "Big Apple" Jack, can you get me tickets to The Producers next time I'm in town? I'm always in a "New York State of Mind."

Buon Natale anche a lei. E Buon Anno!

Stay well, keep smiling.

Don't need to reply...
Should I be concerned?