The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm so lonesome I could cry.
Oct 28, 2005

Hi Bob,as the great Hank Williams said "I'm so lonesome I could cry". My wife of two years had a AIDS test that came back positive and I also got the diease from her but I have decide to stick by her can you give us some adivce on how to get through this. Also we are both 29 how long can we be expected to live.

Thank You

Response from Dr. Frascino


I'm very sorry to hear the news of your and your wife's recent positive HIV tests. Feeling sad, anxious and even angry are to be expected. It's part of the adjustment period that accompanies the shock of realizing you have become HIV positive. I understand that "shock" and the adjustment period very well, having personally experienced both when I seroconverted in January 1991. Yes, that was nearly 15 years ago and, as you can see, I'm still here.

Now that you've tested positive, what should you do? First, you need to learn more about HIV and how it can affect you. You can gain power over your HIV disease by learning how it operates and developing a treatment strategy. By working closely with a competent and compassionate HIV specialist and having a "positive" attitude about being positive, you greatly increase your chances of doing well for a long period of time, despite being "virally enhanced." I'd suggest you spend some time reading the information on this site and related links. Begin by checking out the "Just Diagnosed" information that can be found by clicking on that topic on the Quick Links section of The Body's homepage.

Good luck to you both. I'm here if you need me. Let's plan on growing old together, O.K.?

Dr. Bob

Same Sex Kissing

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint