HIV, Narcolepsy, And Ritilin

Recently I took a sleep study for my fatigue and was diagnosed as having Narcolepsy. Because of that diagnosis, I have just started to take Ritilin (10mg, 2x's a day) to fight my falling asleep. The 10mg is the smallest dosage available and will need to be increased after 30 days.

I was also recently diagnosed as being HIV + and my doctor wants me to start to take the Combivir/Ziagen cocktail.

My question to you is what effects does the Ritilin (or other stimulants, like Cylert) have on HIV meds, or visa versa? What about the virus load and CD4 counts? What about the Narcolepsy itself, any information on the effects of the narcolepsy and HIV together?

Thank you for the information.

I do not know of any specific connection between narcolepsy and HIV. Certainly it's possible to have the two separate conditions simultaneously. It may be a bit challenging to monitor your complaints of fatigue as HIV as well as its various therapies can induce these symptoms. Certainly a good diet, adequate rest, regular exercise, and hopefully suppressing you're your viral load to below detectable limits is strongly recommended. Once you start a medication regimen you'll need to be monitored for potential drug side effects. For example you mentioned combivir - this combination medication has AZT as one of its components. In some HIV positive folks AZT can cause anemia, a decrease in your red blood cells. Anemia's most common symptom is fatigue. You will need to monitor your hemoglobin levels on this medication.

Certainly your HIV specialist should work closely with the physician managing your narcolepsy to avoid drug interactions. Stimulants are indeed recommended for the treatment of narcolepsy and can be used safely with anti-HIV drugs. Prescription stimulants in recommended doses should not affect your viral load or CD4 counts.

Good luck!

RJF

TIRED OF BEING TIRED
Very tired and lips turning white