For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Fat Grafting as Filler

I have heard that using ones own body fat for fillers , whether in buttoks or face has it's drawbacks. Would the fat that replaces loss of facial fat disappear just as it did originally due to the meds?

Hello, thanks for posting.

I don't do perform fat grafting, but have treated quite a few patients who previously had this procedure.

There are pros and cons with fat grafting. First, there must be enough subcutaneous fat available for transfer to the face. Some patients with lipoatrophy have global loss of subcutaneous fat so this option is not feasible.

The results with fat grafting are somewhat unpredictable. Some patients have good long-term results, others have a temporary result, and others get poor results because of irregular or nodular persistence of the grafted fat.

Fat grafting techniques continue to evolve and improve, but I still believe the variable results diminish the usefulness of this procedure.

Dolutegravir risk of fat loss
Switching Meds to stop facial wasting