Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sculptra longevity
Oct 5, 2013

I have been receiving Sculptra injections for over 7 years now. The claim that the product can last up to 2 years kind of baffles me. I have been told that exercise or anything that can speed up metabolism can reduce the effect and longevity of Sculptra. THIS I totally understand as I am highly active and find that I have to receive injections (1 vial for each side of my face) anywhere from 6-8 month period due to rapid deflation. What is your take on this? Also, I have sever lipoatrophy in the face and can understand it takes a lot of product to keep me looking normal and plump.

Response from Dr. Pierone

The response to Sculptra is dependent on collagen production by your body. Some people produce more collagen than others and this probably explains most of the inter-individual variation in response to Sculptra.

The question that always comes up is whether you are still on medication that promotes continued loss of fat. I recently treated a patient who needed more frequent Sculptra injections to maintain his facial volume because of his reluctance to switch off of AZT (Zidovudine).

Thanks for posting and good luck!

Previous
Artefill in Dallas
Next
PMMA Filler for arms and legs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.