Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Pioglitazone for Lipoatrophy?

Hello dear doctor! In order to improve my lipodostrophy, I've been prescribed Pioglitazone. I've been on a AZT regiment for 6 years, I didn't know it caused lipo, now I am changing meds. I have very little facial wasting, but a lot of wasting on my limbs (I ran out of all fat on my feet, hands, wrists, legs...) My buttocks looks much smaller. And I do have some fat accumulation on the chest. I do sports almost everyday, but still I got lipodostrophy, it's been difficult, specially on my social life. I've been even a bit away from my family cause I don't want my brother to realize the changes in my body and my status. I had PMMA filling on my hands and wrists, wich I am so happy about, and I might get more PMMA, on the face and arm. I would love to hear what you have to say about Pioglitazone, do you think I should take it? Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The most important thing was getting off AZT. Hopefully you will see some improvement with time.

It is questionable whether pioglitazone is useful. The study showed some improvement in limb fat, but the benefit was modest and most patients did not notice any changes. But there does not appear to be much downside from trying pioglitazone.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

re facial wasting darunavir dosage
pmma for face