Facial WastingFacial Wasting

HIV REGIMENS THAT WON'T CAUSE FACIAL WASTING?

My physician is not answering my questions on which meds do not cause facial wasting. In the past three months I have started to see some changes in my cheekbone areas. I am currently taking Norvir, Reyataz, Viread, and Zidovudine. I have always known each of my medications and their side effects. However, with my viral load being undetectable for three years and my cd4 count being 604-779, I know they are working. However, there are some problems arising. I have been on these meds since 2005. I know there are many new meds out there, but could you possibly give me some suggestions on what to approach my doctor with? Thanks a million! I really need to switch before my face is scarred.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The short answer is that zidovudine is one of the thymidine analogues that produce lipoatrophy. There are plenty of options that should enable you to get off this agent and prevent further loss of facial fat.

Good luck!

Pregnancy and ARV treatment
Obamacare