Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can PMMA be removed?
Feb 17, 2013

Dear Dr. Pierone,

I've had PMMA injections in my chest, and I'm afraid I've been "overfilled." The treated area doesn't look natural, because there's just too much filler. I was wondering whether PMMA can be removed after it's injected. I've seen different answers on various plastic surgery forums (like makemeheal). Some people say it can be removed with liposuction, but others say the material is too dense. I know that the PMMA microspheres get encapsulated in collagen, which I understand is firmer than fat, but does that make liposuction impossible? Have you had any experience with such a procedure?

If liposuction isn't possible, are there other alternatives for removing the stuff? If so, what are they and what risks do they involve?

Thanks in advance for your answer, and thanks for the service you're providing here.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

PMMA becomes encapsulated in a matrix of white blood cells called macrophages as well as collagen. There is no reason to believe that this could not be removed through surgery or a limited surgical approach such as liposuction. Another alternative might be injection of a corticosteroid to reduce the inflammatory component of the PMMA matrix.

Was the PMMA injected into the muscles of your chest to enhance them or was injected into the center over the breastbone to correct a "pigeon chest" condition? The latter would be easier to correct.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Previous
does isentress cause lipoatrophy?
Next
Bio alcamid migration

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.