Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Severe Facial Wasting

I'm wondering if by stopping the drugs that cause facial wasting if the fat starts to come back. I have tried injections and that didn't work for me. I'm just starting to feel like I get stares from co-workers about my changing appearance. I know they know something is up. I did have hodgkins lymphoma 4 years ago and I tell people the cause of my wasting is from my chemotherapy I received. I tell them that the chemo destroyed my fat cells. Also, how much worse will this get, I already have sunken cheeks, and temples are sunken as well. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

There may be some return of facial fat if the medications are stopped. Because of the problems with discontinuation of antiretroviral treatment, the usual strategy is to switch to a regimen that is less likely to contribute to lipoatrophy.

Sometimes facial injections may not work as well if you are still on the medication that is producing facial fat loss. So switching to a new regimen in combination with facial fillers might be the best option.

Good luck!

Wasting after Atripla and Complera
does isentress cause lipoatrophy?