Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Wasting after Atripla and Complera

Hi, I took Atripla for about a year before switching to Complera due to CNS issues. That fixed the problem but now I am noticing facial wasting and not sure where to go now. No sign of lipodystrophy or anything else significant but want to act quickly before the problem gets worse as its becoming obvious.

Complera and Atripla both have Truvada in common. Truvada is the nuke combination that is least associated with development of lipoatrophy, but it may still occur.

One option is to stay on this medication and treat the facial thinning with facial fillers. Another option might be to change to a protease inhibitor-based regimen, but we really don't have clear evidence that this switch would help with the facial wasting. Also, protease inhibitors have also been linked to higher cholesterol levels and cardiovascular risk. A regimen like Isentress and Intelence (integrase inhibitor and NNRTI) might be associated with a lower risk of lipoatrophy, but there is only anecdotal evidence supporting this approach.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

PMMA on top, in addition to Butt implant
Severe Facial Wasting