The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is Platelet Rich Plasma injections an option for lipoatrophy?

Dec 14, 2012

I met with a spa who said that PRP would be a viable treatment for lipoatrophy, however I am unsure since the internet does not seem to support this? What are your thoughts?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Platelet rich plasma (PRP) is a promising and very useful treatment for facial skin rejuvenation. We use on virtually all of the patients we treat with fractional CO2 laser. We also use it in combination with Dermapen or micro-needle rolling to improve superficial scars and wrinkles. Our team does several of these treatments every week and the results are often remarkable.

Unfortunately, what PRP does not do well is restore facial volume. Several years ago I tried different formulations of PRP and different injection techniques in an attempt to restore facial volume in well over 100 treatments (many in patients with HIV lipoatrophy) and the overall results were disappointing. Some patients did have some volume increase, but even when this occurred the results were minimal. However, we did observe improvement of skin quality, texture, and lessening of scars and surface wrinkles in many patients.

So PRP has a role in facial rejuvenation, but is not a legitimate option for management of lipoatrophy.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Lipoatrophy on Trizivir and Sustiva
Follow up questions on changing meds

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint