Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Lipoatrophy on Trizivir and Sustiva

Dear Dr. I have been on Sustiva and Trizivir since August of 2000, now after all that time, since 2009, my legs started to get skinny and veiny and more pronounced. It all started on my legs and now on my thighs and I think my arms are getting there now. I am afraid of it getting to my face. Are there any treatment out there that will help my condition? Will switching meds help and if so, what should I switch to? My Dr. reads from a book, so I dont trust her since she isnt able to give me an answer.

It sounds like you are losing fat in the subcutaneous tissues and this process is known as lipoatrophy or fat wasting. The veins become more noticeable because of the loss of fat around them.

The medication Trizivir contains AZT (zidovudine, Retrovir) and this is the main culprit in causing this complication. You are on 4 medications for treatment of HIV infection, and only three are needed. You should talk with your doctor about changing your regimen to Atripla or Isentress/Truvada in order to stop this process from getting worse.

Good luck!

lowest potential meds for lipo side effects
Is Platelet Rich Plasma injections an option for lipoatrophy?