The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Regarding your response to "Unwanted fat on neck"

Oct 4, 2012

I wanted to add something to your response to the person asking about the "Unwanted fat on neck" & on back.

In 2006, I had my buffalo hump sucked out as well as my back fat. In fact, the back fat, was harvested and plugged into my buttocks. I do not regret doing this whatsoever.

It's 2012 and I can tell, my buttocks are losing the fat, so I'll have to think about getting my stomach fat transferred. It is not below my muscles. I might have it transferred to my face since I do not want the market answer.

Anyway, I would recommend that person inquiring about removal, to go for it. I'm not on any of those meds you quote. It was found I'm allergic to those class of drugs. I take a different cocktail.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Here is the link to the original post.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with lipoatrophy and fat grafting. It sounds like the fat grafting worked out well if the benefit held up over 6 years.

Early on, there were reports of excessive facial fat development if fat from a buffalo hump was transplanted to the face. Not many doctors attempt this, so it is difficult to know how common or uncommon this complication might be.

Although protease inhibitors are most closely linked to lipohypertrophy, this problem may occur from the other classes of medications as well.

Thanks again for your post.

Facial lipo in cheeks
PEP facial wasting?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint