Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bio alcamid infection
Jun 27, 2012

Doctor, I was injected in 2007 in Toronto, I currently live in Baton Rouge, LA. Over the past 4 years I have experienced dropping of the implant and softnesss in the area which seems to swell and then reduce.

2 days ago there was tenderness above where the filler had dropped, it is warm to touch and becoming red and swelling, more obvious if I press on the jowel area where the filler has dropped to causing the area to the right of my nose across to my cheek bone.

I have tried to find anyone to help with not much success and I do not have the resources to pay a plastic surgeon.

I believe I would like to attempt antibiotic treatment but fear my infectious Disease doctor will continue to not know what to do or what to prescribe.

I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa!

I am afraid that ultimately my vanity will result in my ultimate death do to the inability to find appropriate treatment.

Help please,

Shaun

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and sorry to hear about your problem with Bioalcamid. Since this product is not available in the United States few doctors have experience dealing with complications or infections related to it. Because of the infection risk it is no longer used in Canada either.

Sometimes these infections will respond to oral antibiotics, so your ID doctor should be able to come up with an empiric selection of an antibiotic for you. If the infection worsens or does not respond to an oral antibiotic, the next course of action would typically be to proceed with intravenous antibiotics and surgical incision and drainage of the infected region. If it comes to this, even if the surgeon does not have experience with Bioalcamid, general surgical management principles of infected soft tissues will guide the procedure.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Previous
Your thoughts on the skin tightening effects of Ultherapy?
Next
Lipoatrophy and Truvada

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.