Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Sudden Changes in Fat???

Hi there-- Been on pretty much the same cocktail for over 11.5 years (Kaletra, Viread, Epzicom). Steadily undetectable, T cells right now are at 775. Cholesterol remains at a safe 180 (LDL) and my good (HDL) is fine. I lift weigghts and workout regularly for years and always have been in amazing shape. Just in the past 12 months (I am 38), I notice that all of my pants that always fit snug around my legs are now much looser. My arms and legs look more veiny than ever and the texture of my skin overall just seems more lazy, where I can pinch more of the flesh. If I hadn't had side effects like this in 11+ years and have clicnically been doing so well, could out of nowhere I suddenlly be getting lipo? It is really throwing me for a loop and making me a bit down.. I had thought you can count these side effects out if you have long term seen no changes.. Any advice on what I can do or if this is somewhat of a popular situation after years of not seeing such a thing? Thanks! Jay NYC 38

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The onset of lipoatrophy may be insidious and it sometimes takes over a decade for the loss of fat to become apparent. If fat loss if mild, it may not be noticeable until a threshold has been crossed.

The regimen you are on is quadruple therapy, and studies have shown no additional benefit with 4 antiretroviral drugs, but more side effects. Kaletra is actually very potent and has been used as monotherapy with good results for many patients. One approach would be to sequentially discontinue the Viread and Epzicom and simply stay on the Kaletra. If this strategy worked out (and it usually does), there would be less mitochondrial toxicity from the nukes, and less fat loss going forward. If Kaletra alone is not potent enough to control viral replication, then addition of an NNRTI (Sustiva, Intelence) or integrase inhibitor Isentress would represent fall back options.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Fat transfer and Bioalcamid
Plastic Surgery for HIV+?