Facial WastingFacial Wasting

ARV that don't cause facial wasting

I recently got a positive result (including Western blot) on my HIV testing. Still waiting for confirmation test results(2nd testing to make sure there was no mix up of samples). But I'm contemplating on early treatment. I havent even had my CD4 and viral load tests done. What are the best med combination that doesn't cause lipoatrophy on the face? Who determines the combination of drugs, is it the doctor or do I have a say on it? If most drugs cause lipoatrophy, I would rather not go on treatment and just wait for my time. Thanks for your time.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The preferred regimens for HIV infection have a fairly low risk of producing lipoatrophy, especially within the first several years. Atripla or a combination of Truvada and Isentress would be good starting choices. Protease inhibitor-based treatment may have a lower risk of lipoatrophy, but in general, the trade-off would be a higher risk of visceral fat accumulation and high cholesterol.

If you do decide to go on treatment after you get more information, the regimen choice should be a shared decision between you and your doctor.

Good luck!

facial lipoatrophy
Need treatment in East Texas