Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Facial Wasting and Tummy Tuck
Oct 10, 2011

I've had hiv for 11 years and hepb for 5 years. My hepb viral load is zero and my hiv viral is under 10k while my cd4 is 640.

I use to be a weight lifter but had to stop some years ago. I still do daily walking, some yoga, some form of exercise and I strive to eat healthy, ie., no fast food joints, fruits and steam veggies, etc. My cholesterol is 149 and I am not on statins.

I know I need the facial filler, as I'm seeing it even more now, the loss in my cheeks and around my eyes. In pictures, I look, hallow.

As for my stomach, I cannot get it flat and that was before hiv. Even as a child, my siblings had flat stomachs and I did not. I was the thin one without a flat gut. Nowadays, I'm a tall big man. Still muscular and people notice, but I can gather the skin/fat up around my gut and pull it in a ball or squeeze it together outward where I am skin from underneath and from the top, touching with a fold of skin/fat sticking out. I want so much to get rid of it. I've saved up 3k so far. I know this is not, deep fat. So, what can be done and are there doctors who would work with me? Thanks

Response from Dr. Pierone

The facial filler part is straight-forward, Sculptra and Radiesse are approved in the U.S. for facial lipoatrophy. Both are effective, but have different performance characteristics. Radiesse works right away and lasts about a year. Sculptra takes a few months for the full effect, but lasts for about 2-3 years.

With regard to your abdomen it sounds like you have some extra fat and extra skin. The traditional treatment would be liposuction if there is not too much extra skin. A "tummy tuck" surgical procedure would usually be offered if the laxity and fat were beyond the effective range of liposuction.

A newer technology that does improve abdominal laxity is radiofrequency treatment (Exilis, Pelleve, Endymed, and others). This is a non-surgical modality and produces variable results. This technology holds promise for the future as it evolves and therapy schedules are better understood.

Good luck!

Previous
Just curious: do you think a treatment for body lipoatrophy will become available in the US?
Next
Fat loss on arms and legs from Combivir?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.