Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Facial Wasting and Tummy Tuck

I've had hiv for 11 years and hepb for 5 years. My hepb viral load is zero and my hiv viral is under 10k while my cd4 is 640.

I use to be a weight lifter but had to stop some years ago. I still do daily walking, some yoga, some form of exercise and I strive to eat healthy, ie., no fast food joints, fruits and steam veggies, etc. My cholesterol is 149 and I am not on statins.

I know I need the facial filler, as I'm seeing it even more now, the loss in my cheeks and around my eyes. In pictures, I look, hallow.

As for my stomach, I cannot get it flat and that was before hiv. Even as a child, my siblings had flat stomachs and I did not. I was the thin one without a flat gut. Nowadays, I'm a tall big man. Still muscular and people notice, but I can gather the skin/fat up around my gut and pull it in a ball or squeeze it together outward where I am skin from underneath and from the top, touching with a fold of skin/fat sticking out. I want so much to get rid of it. I've saved up 3k so far. I know this is not, deep fat. So, what can be done and are there doctors who would work with me? Thanks

The facial filler part is straight-forward, Sculptra and Radiesse are approved in the U.S. for facial lipoatrophy. Both are effective, but have different performance characteristics. Radiesse works right away and lasts about a year. Sculptra takes a few months for the full effect, but lasts for about 2-3 years.

With regard to your abdomen it sounds like you have some extra fat and extra skin. The traditional treatment would be liposuction if there is not too much extra skin. A "tummy tuck" surgical procedure would usually be offered if the laxity and fat were beyond the effective range of liposuction.

A newer technology that does improve abdominal laxity is radiofrequency treatment (Exilis, Pelleve, Endymed, and others). This is a non-surgical modality and produces variable results. This technology holds promise for the future as it evolves and therapy schedules are better understood.

Good luck!

Just curious: do you think a treatment for body lipoatrophy will become available in the US?
Fat loss on arms and legs from Combivir?