Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Vacuolar Myelopathy or Peripheral Neuropathy

My partner and I are both HIV+, well he has AIDS, I am +. For the past few months, he has been having issues with is legs and fatigue. He is still able to go to his part-time job as a janitor and do house chores, walk the dog, cook, etc. After he and I have done some online research we have discovered that it could be either VM or Peripheral Neuropathy. I understand that the prognosis with VM is rather grim. His cd-4 count has been between 150-225 for the past four years, with an undetectable viral load. My question is, if he had Vacuolar Myelopathy would he gradually decline to the point where in two or three months he would barely, if, be able to get out of bed or would it be more of a sudden thing that would take place with a week or two...???

This question is not well matched for a forum on lipoatrophy, but is somewhat related because HIV-related peripheral neuropathy is sometimes related to mitochondrial toxicity of nerve cells, and lipoatrophy is related to mitochondrial toxicity of adipose (fat) cells.

Peripheral neuropathy is vastly more common than vacuolar myelopathy and the latter diagnosis is very unlikely. Vacuolar myelopathy was seen in the era before HAART and would not be expected to occur in someone with undetectable viral load and CD4 count over 100. The next step would be an appointment with his primary care doctor and possibly and appointment with a Neurologist to sort things out.

Good luck!

sculptra for prevention??
body shape wont change-help!