Facial WastingFacial Wasting

sculptra for prevention??

Hello!

Thanks for all you do. I have a question I've never seen onhere: Does Sculptra *prevent* a person from getting facial lipoatrophy if they don't have it yet, or is it only a *treatment* for when you've already got it?

Thanks again!

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Sometimes there is a very fine line between facial lipoatrophy and the progressive loss of facial volume that occurs with age. It is logical to assume that treatment with facial fillers at the earliest suggestion of lipoatrophy or age-related volume loss will lessen the likelihood that facial thinning will become noticeable.

There is no clear threshold to initiate treatment, this is an individual decision. I have patients with quite significant facial lipoatrophy and they could really care less. I have other patients who have chosen to receive treatment when there was just a trace of facial volume loss.

So I don't really think of prevention versus treatment, but rather treatment of varying degrees of facial volume loss.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Facial Wasting on Coumadin, confused about what to do
Vacuolar Myelopathy or Peripheral Neuropathy