Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sculptra for prevention??
Oct 4, 2011

Hello!

Thanks for all you do. I have a question I've never seen onhere: Does Sculptra *prevent* a person from getting facial lipoatrophy if they don't have it yet, or is it only a *treatment* for when you've already got it?

Thanks again!

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Sometimes there is a very fine line between facial lipoatrophy and the progressive loss of facial volume that occurs with age. It is logical to assume that treatment with facial fillers at the earliest suggestion of lipoatrophy or age-related volume loss will lessen the likelihood that facial thinning will become noticeable.

There is no clear threshold to initiate treatment, this is an individual decision. I have patients with quite significant facial lipoatrophy and they could really care less. I have other patients who have chosen to receive treatment when there was just a trace of facial volume loss.

So I don't really think of prevention versus treatment, but rather treatment of varying degrees of facial volume loss.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Previous
Facial Wasting on Coumadin, confused about what to do
Next
Vacuolar Myelopathy or Peripheral Neuropathy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.