Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Does the Zerona Laser have any effectiveness on visceral fat?

Hello Dr. Pierone, I am wondering if you have any personal experience or knowledge of the Zerona Laser being used to combat visceral fat deep within the abdominal area? Despite my switching medications my stomach continues to grow while the rest of my body looks like a road map! Definitely am willing to try the Zerona treatment but haven't found any information specifically as it relates to HIV patients on HAART therapy.

Zerona is a treatment with a low level laser that is being used to reduce fat. I don't have any personal experience with the machine, but have looked at some of the research and data and it does not seem promising. The major challenge that I see is that the laser light only penetrates about one centimeter below the surface of the skin. Visceral fat is deeper and it hard to imagine any meaningful benefit. Moreover, the online patient generated reviews of Zerona have been mostly negative.

We definitely need effective treatment for lipohypertrophy and currently have very little to offer. Egrifta was recently approved by the FDA and is helpful for some patients. But it involves daily subcutaneous injection and the benefit wanes when the medication is stopped.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Pretty Hurts
Facial Wasting with Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada