Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Pretty Hurts

Hello Dr.- I have a question concerning facial fillers. I know that Sculptra & Radiesse are approved for HIV lipo but thankfully I don't suffer from that condition. I am on newer Meds (Isentress & Truvada) so my face has not caved in. On LOGO I am sure that you have probably seen the show "Pretty Hurts". My question is concerning other types of fillers in someone who is +. I am 56 and would like to have a little injection here and there a little freezer as well. Are the other fillers on the market OK for me to use or can Sculptra and Radiesse be used for a vain old queen wanting to get rid of a few wrinkles? And also concerning freezers are they safe for someone who is + to use? My ID doctor just gave be a blank stare and no answer when I asked about Botox. I quess he is more concern with keeping me alive than looking pretty..LOL! Do you do minor facial tune-ups at your practice? Thanks, Billy

Hi Billy,

I have not seen "Pretty Hurts" but my office manager has told me it is worth watching.

You can certainly do Botulinum toxin and any of the fillers on the market in order to look better; they are safe in the setting of HIV infection. When we treat lipoatrophy with facial fillers the goal is to improve facial appearance and improve quality of life. When we treat aging individuals with Botox or facial fillers, the goal is to improve facial appearance and improve quality of life.

There is no clear line that differentiates facial aging from lipoatrophy, they often co-exist, so we treat both issues effectively with all of the tools in the toolbox. This includes botulinum toxins (Dysport and Botox), facial fillers (Juvederm, Radiesse, Sculptra, Artefill), skin care regimens, radiofrequency devices, and lasers.

My practice has evolved from treating only patients with HIV-related lipoatrophy to treating anyone who wants to delay the effects of aging and look better. I gain tremendous satisfaction from helping someone with lipoatrophy restore their natural look. I receive similar gratification by helping the aging beauty queen turn back the clock. So it's all good.

Thanks for posting!

Medicaid coverage of Sculptra treatment?
Does the Zerona Laser have any effectiveness on visceral fat?