Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Can I receive facial filler injections if I take Coumadin?

I am suffering from facial wasting, however, I am on coumadin blood thinner, so for me sculptra injections for facial wasting is not an option for me since it would require me to get off blood thinners to do the procedure. I am left with no options for my facial wasting, as you can imagine people are constantly looking at me and making comments. Looking into options for facial wasting treatment for people like me that cannot get injections. Now give me a smile, be happy for me I made it this far with 20 plus years having this hiv in my body. For this I am grateful, but not easy to live with a face that makes me look sick as I look. I give you a smile right now so I am smiling for you so now you can give me a smile, I try to keep a happy attitude as much as I can although not easy at times but I try.

thanks, edwin :)

Hello, and thanks for posting.

This is actually a common scenario and is misunderstood by many. One does not have to stop Coumadin or other blood thinners in order to treat facial wasting. There will simply be more bruising related to the blood thinner.

In the ideal situation, we stop aspirin, fish oil, and vitamin E prior to a procedure in order to reduce the amount of bruising. Many people take medication (like aspirin) or supplements that have blood thinning properties and may safely stop these agents. However, if someone has had a stroke or a heart attack and is on aspirin to prevent another one, I certainly don't want them to stop this medication for a Sculptra injection.

Likewise, you are probably on Coumadin for a good reason and it does not need to be stopped. That said, there is a range of anticoagulation with Coumadin and attempting to have the protime (or INR) nearer the lower therapeutic range would be desirable on the treatment date.

So go ahead and get treated and best of luck!

does my HIV regimen cause lipoatrophy?
Any recommendations for switching meds from atripla to reduce lipatrophy?