Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment for general body fat loss?
Nov 11, 2010

Dear Dr.,

Like many, I have been reading your comments on this wonderful site for years. Having been positive for 15 years now, I am very optimistic about the long-term effectiveness of the current drug regimen as well as those on the horizon. However, again, like many, I am left with the reminders of the early meds...practically no subcutaneous fat in my face, neck, legs and buttocks. I have gone on drug holidays, switched from the guilty drugs to Sustiva, Isentress and Viread, had a face-lift, botox, Sculptra, tried supplements like L-Carnitine and Uridine. Still, when I see photos of myself next to others my age (I'm 56) I still look gaunt, old and sickly. It's devastating. Is there ANYTHING on the horizon for reversing this fat loss or is the general consensus that these cells dead forever? Despondent but grateful for you input.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

Switching to newer, less toxic, antiretroviral medications (as you have already done) is a proven means to improve subcutaneous fat loss. Overall body weight gain may improve subcutaneous fat stores, but also would be expected to increase visceral fat levels. In many cases, total body weight gain increases abdominal protuberance and does little to improve subcutaneous fat. There are also attendant negative metabolic effects that develop in conjunction with visceral fat compartment expansion.

Unfortunately there is no supplement or intervention that has been shown to restore subcutaneous fat in the context of HIV-related lipoatrophy.

Facial fillers like Sculptra and Radiesse are available in the United States and clearly do improve facial appearance. They require maintenance with periodic touch-up treatments. Artefill is a permanent filler and may be used off-label for HIV lipoatrophy, but there is no patient assistance program, and it is quite costly.

There is nothing available in the United States or Europe that I am aware of that can be used to restore subcutaneous volume in other body locations. In Mexico and South America, large volume injections of PMMA have been used to restore subcutaneous structure in a variety of areas. PMMA has been used for treatment of the buttocks, the subcutaneous depressions between muscle groups in the arms and legs, vein camouflage, and back of the hands. The results can be quite good, but as you might imagine, body restoration is a daunting challenge.

I wish I had a more encouraging report, sorry.

Previous
Does Sculptra stop working after long-term use?
Next
Medicare Coverage for facial wasting fillers in NEW YORK CITY

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.