Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 Criteria for Sculptra/Radiesse?
Oct 10, 2010

After years and years of waiting, Kaiser Permanente in Oregon is finally covering facial correction for lipoatrophy for those on Medicare. But their criteria is that it can only be done for patients with a CD4 count above 300. Unfortunately, although undetectable and very healthy, my CD4 count has fallen by 250 points in the past year, now under 300. (That's a whole other question). I am distressed that I am unable to meet their seemingly arbitrary criteria, and I am probably no longer even eligible for the patient assistance program if I go outside of Kaiser Permanente because of my eligibility under Medicare. I've even considered forcing my CD4 count up with Interlukin-2 to meet their criteria, even though there is no other clinical benefit to doing that. Another option I'm thinking of is PMMA. But financial issues are also a concern. After waiting for years -- this has been distressing for me. Is there is medical data that supports their decision not to do these treatments for those who are under 300 CD4 counts, who are otherwise healthy?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

Since you are eligible for coverage under Medicare, why should Kaiser's arbitrary decision matter? I am not aware of data showing less effect, or greater risk of lipoatrophy treatment in patients with under 300 CD4+ lymphocyte counts. Personally, I have treated many patients with counts under this threshold without problems.

Regardless, you should speak to Kaiser and see what they were thinking (if they were thinking). There is no way you should risk the side effects of IL2 to get a temporary boost in CD4+ lymphocyte counts.

Good luck!

Previous
Medicare and Facial Wasting in Florida
Next
Reply to Dr. Pierones Question Re: My Post

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.