Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Best places for PMMA injections?
Aug 30, 2010

Dr. Pierone,

I live in Pennsylvania and was wondering the best places to get PMMA? Is it still Dr. Serra in Brazil, or are there places in Canada or closer that could provide service? Dr. Serra uses non-bovine collagen correct?

Is there a non-bovine Artefill used in the US, or does all Artefill contain that?

I have mild lipoatrophy, but want to treat before it gets worse, I am not on meds yet.

Thanks,

M.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

The only brand of PMMA available in the United States is Artefill. This product contains bovine collagen in combination with PMMA.

Artecoll is a brand of PMMA available in Canada and it does not contain bovine collagen. I believe the price is similar to Artefill so there is probably not much to be gained from a trip to Canada for Artecoll.

Dr Serra in Brazil has many years of experience with PMMA and has an excellent reputation. Dr. Casavantes in Mexico also is an expert with PMMA injections and would be an excellent choice as well. One of the advantages of PMMA outside of the United States is the much lower cost. This inexpensive option allows the treater to use enough PMMA to correct the significant volume loss that characterizes HIV-related lipoatrophy. Because of the relatively high cost of Artefill, not many people can afford the amount of product necessary for correction of HIV lipoatrophy.

The downside of PMMA produced in Brazil (and exported to Mexico) is the quality issue. Artefill is an extremely pure product thanks to FDA rules and regulations. PMMA from Brazil has variable particle size and this attribute appears to be associated with a greater risk of complications. That said, the most recent formulation of NewPlastic from Brazil is much better and now approaches the purity of Artefill.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

Previous
Facial wasting - fat grafting - problem solved
Next
Facial Wasting Prezista/Norvir/Truvada vs. Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.