Facial WastingFacial Wasting

PMMA - synthetic or bovine?

Hi, I am 43yo and 7 years HIV + with a regimen of Sustiva and healthy. I, however, have deep wrinkles in my face cheeks and crows feet, and deep line wrinkles in my forehead. I think this is mostly due to HIV. I've read on your forum that PMMA filler is a bovine derivative. However, I emailed Clinic'estetica in Tijuana and they sent a pdf document that says PMMA is synthetic. Do some clinics now use the synthetic PMMA as opposed to the bovine based PMMA? Thank you.

PMMA is poly methyl methacrylate, a synthetic polymer. Microspheres of PMMA have been used as facial fillers worldwide for many years. Examples of different PMMA brands include Metacrill, NewPlastic, and Artecoll. The last time I checked, Clinic'estetica produced their own brand of PMMA.

The only PMMA filler that is available in the United States is Artefill. This product contains PMMA microspheres co-formulated with bovine collagen. The collagen is reabsorbed and the PMMA remains as a permanent filler.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

Wasting face lift too tight, what to do?
Hiv and Plastic Surgery