Facial WastingFacial Wasting

legs and buttock wasting

Dear Dr, I have been HIV for 5 years now and was once on Tri-immune for two years that completely melted fats from my fleshy legs and butt. After that, the Dr suggested I try atripls and the results have been wonderful. Do you think there are any fillers I can use for my legs? Thanks.Jam

The main filler in use for buttock and leg treatment is PMMA poly methyl methacrylic acid. This agent is available in many different countries under a variety of names, but the main products used for body injections come from Brazil Metacrill and Newplastic.

Artefill is available in the United States and Artecoll is approved in Europe, but these brands of PMMA are cost-prohibitive for non-facial soft tissue augmentation because of the greater product volume that is necessary.

Here is a link to an article on buttock wasting written by Al Benson, a long-term treatment activist.

Al Benson introduced me to Dr. Luis Casavantes in Tijuana, an expert in the use of PMMA for lipoatrophy. I visited Dr. Casavantes on two occasions in Mexico and observed his work and was very impressed. I also met Dr's Almir Nacul and Denis Valente from Brazil, and they both are experts in the use of PMMA. Dr. Nacul has published a textbook on the many ways that PMMA may be used for injection and calls this technique Bioplasty.

The only active research study that I could find regarding buttock lipoatrophy was this French study that is recruiting HIV-infected patients for treatment with Macrolane, a hyaluronic acid product.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

How many patients have you seen with facial wasting that are not on meds?
Wasting face lift too tight, what to do?