Facial WastingFacial Wasting

How many patients have you seen with facial wasting that are not on meds?

Dr. Pierone,

Myself and others I know have all experiences fat loss after about 6-7 years of having HIV and none of us are on meds. It's in all the usual spots, forearms, face, buttocks, thighs, calves. We don't have the big hollow places in our faces, but most of our buttocks are pretty diminished to the point it's uncomfortable to sit.

There must be something about HIV itself, because I remember during seroconversion, it felt like my butt was burning, very strange sensation and then it passed.

However after 6 years or so, my butt started having that sensation on and off and I'm wondering if it's tied to viral replication.

I'm just suprised so many doctors and patients seem to think it's solely due to meds when it's obviously not... I think truthfully the meds act as an accelerant to the effect in people who are susceptible.

Aside from wasting or weight loss, I think the fat loss is due to cellular toxicity by HIV itself at least to some degree and then the meds only further complicate the issue.

Have they tried putting fat tissue in with HIV virus and seeing what it does?

Thanks,

S.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There is evidence that HIV infection produces immune activation and some of the metabolic disturbances that are probably partly related to this issue.

I think that you are right in that the medications act as an accelerant of lipoatrophy and muscle atrophy in susceptible people.

I doubt HIV would replicate in fat cells based on its pattern of infection, so the effect is likely indirect.

Medicare and codes for Radiesse and Sculptra
legs and buttock wasting