Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mini Facelift ?
Apr 11, 2010

I'm 47 and started Isentress/Truvada in July 2009. I'm doing great, undetectable and around 700 CD4s.

Even before starting meds I did notice my cheeks were very slightly sunken. I suppose this could be a combination of HIV as well as natural aging. I noticed it came on rather quickly, which leads me to think HIV has had a hand in it. Almost like one day my cheeks were not sunken and the next day they were (before starting the meds).

This is not a severe case, I basically look alright. When I look in the mirror if I take my hand and slightly pull the skin upward by where the sideburns are I can see a huge improvement with no more sunken cheeks.

This got me thinking, would I be a good candidate for a mini facelift (also called a "quicklift" or "weekend lift," etc)?

Most of the talk surrounding HIV and faces involves fillers but I have not come across stories of people with HIV getting face lifts or mini facelifts.

Would plastic surgeons that normally operate on people who are negative agree to accept an HIV-positive client for a mini facelift? I would think they sometimes operate on someone poz who does not even know it.

Would getting a mini facelift (not too tight) be OK as far as possibly using fillers such as PMMA in the future.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Response from Dr. Pierone

I think that a face lift or mini-lift is best targeted to people with excessive or saggy skin, especially in the neck region. For mild lipoatrophy or typical age-related changes, facial fillers are a better option.

There is no reason that someone with HIV cannot have a facelift. Some surgeons are hesitant to operate on HIV infected patients, but there are many plastic surgeons who are very welcoming to HIV positive patients.

There is no problem using facial fillers after a mini-lift or full facelift and this treatment will often improve the outcomes.

Good luck!

Previous
How to reduce facial wasting
Next
Dr in Durban South Africa

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.