Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Can Metacrill be used in United States?

I heard about Metacrill, which is a permanent filler. I heard that I can buy 10 syringes for $500 through Dr. Samy Passy. He sent me an email explaining that I could make a wire transfer to a bank in Madrid in his name and he will send me the package. He also told me that a doctor in NYC could make the injections for me. Have you ever heard about Metacrill...do you think it is safe and the method of payment is legit. Let me know what you think about this. I really appreciate everything you do for all of us trying to make sense of treatment options.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Metacrill is a PMMA product from Brazil. The quality of Metacrill is not good in that the particle sizes have tremendous variation. The issue with lack of uniformity of particle size is that this may increase the risk of late granuloma formation. That said, Metacrill has been used by some injectors in Mexico and Brazil for body lipoatrophy with a very low reported rate of granulomas or nodules. These injections are typically at deeper levels and there is a lower rate of granuloma complications when fillers are injected at deeper sites, presumably because of fewer immune cells in muscle compared with skin. I would be concerned about using this product for facial injection because of the quality issue.

The bigger problem is that it would not be legal for a doctor to inject Metacrill in the United States because it is not FDA approved. So the product will do you no good here.

Treatment options for replacing fat in the legs / buttocks?
Do you think insurances will eventually cover treatment for Lipoatrophy?