Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can Metacrill be used in United States?
Mar 11, 2010

I heard about Metacrill, which is a permanent filler. I heard that I can buy 10 syringes for $500 through Dr. Samy Passy. He sent me an email explaining that I could make a wire transfer to a bank in Madrid in his name and he will send me the package. He also told me that a doctor in NYC could make the injections for me. Have you ever heard about Metacrill...do you think it is safe and the method of payment is legit. Let me know what you think about this. I really appreciate everything you do for all of us trying to make sense of treatment options.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

Metacrill is a PMMA product from Brazil. The quality of Metacrill is not good in that the particle sizes have tremendous variation. The issue with lack of uniformity of particle size is that this may increase the risk of late granuloma formation. That said, Metacrill has been used by some injectors in Mexico and Brazil for body lipoatrophy with a very low reported rate of granulomas or nodules. These injections are typically at deeper levels and there is a lower rate of granuloma complications when fillers are injected at deeper sites, presumably because of fewer immune cells in muscle compared with skin. I would be concerned about using this product for facial injection because of the quality issue.

The bigger problem is that it would not be legal for a doctor to inject Metacrill in the United States because it is not FDA approved. So the product will do you no good here.

Previous
Treatment options for replacing fat in the legs / buttocks?
Next
Do you think insurances will eventually cover treatment for Lipoatrophy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.