Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Lumps from Silikon 1000 Injections

Hi Doc, I had a great number of these Silikon 1000 injections injected into my face about 5 years ago. Some of the material has now migrated and I have a large lump on the left side of my face just below my lower lip. It is very noticeable. The material moved from my upper cheekbones which show signs of major wasting. The physician that injected the material is not interested in helping and said there were no guarantee's about the procedure. You have advised others about steroid injections to reduce these "lumps". It is quite large.. about one inch long and about 3/4 inch wide and very raised. Can pressure flatten out this lump?? It seems to be getting larger not smaller. I live in the southern California region. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If silicone is injected by proper micro-droplet technique it should not be migrating because the interval between the injections permits the micro-droplets of silicone to be surrounded with inflammatory cells and fibrosis. Silicone injected in larger volumes certainly can migrate.

It seems unlikely that applying pressure would work to flatten out a lump that is getting larger. Sometimes late granulomas form after silicone (or any filler) injections and these will respond to corticosteroid injectons.

Since the original doctor is not interested in helping, you should find a doctor with expertise in facial fillers for a second opinion regarding treatment options. Here is a link to the web site of Dr. Doug Mest, he is a researcher and expert in facial fillers.

Good luck!

Facial wasting from Aluvia?
Treatment gone wrong - Sculptra Nodules