Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Using PMMA in the forehead

Dear Dr. Pierone,

Do you know whether PMMA may be used to correct fat loss in the forehead? To be clear, I am talking about the forehead proper -- the area above the nose and eyebrows, not about the temples. I understand that Dr. Casavantes in Tijuana performs this procedure, but I was told by a plastic surgeon here in the U.S. that the skin on the forehead is too thin for filler use and that such use might cause necrosis.

Do you know whether PMMA can be used in this area? If so, do you have any information about results, possible side-effects, or adverse reactions?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Yes, PMMA may be used to correct fat loss in the forehead proper. The skin over the forehead is not too thin for filler use. There is less subcutaneous tissue in the forehead region compared with other areas of the face and body, but this by no means precludes the use of a filler. The aesthetic results are quite good in this area.

Necrosis of the skin in the forehead (glabellar region) has been reported from facial filler use and is thought to be related to inadvertent injection into a blood vessel. This intravascular injection may directly block blood flow or produce spasm of the artery which stops blood flow and leads to ischemia of the overlying skin. Dr. Casavantes uses a microcanula injection technique (instead of needles) and this avoids intravascular injection of product and permits treatment of the forehead.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

New Integrase inhibitor and lipodystrophy risk
Lipoatrophy inevitable?