Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Facial wasting from Zerit

I have been HIV postive since 1998. I have been on Viracept, zerit, viread. I have experince sever facial wasting and is causing me to be depressed and almost going to hiding. would a change of med be helpfull and is facial wasting reversable?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Zerit is the agent most closely linked to facial wasting so changing from this medication to an alternative would be recommended. This switch would help to prevent progression of the lipoatrophy and may lead to some improvement.

There are a number of potential choices to replace Zerit, but this would depend on your previous treatment history as well as any history of drug resistant virus.

In the meanwhile, you should consider treatment with a facial filler to improve you appearance since any improvement of the lipoatrophy may be delayed.

Good luck!

Can Artefill be mixed (injected over) newplastic / metacrill PMMA?
is a treatment still being looked for?