Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Lipoatrophy after stopping meds?

Hi doc, my worries may seem trivial considering the conditions that many face, but I'd like to know if it's possible for lipoatrophy to worsen even thought you stop taking meds. I was on Combivir for about a year but I stopped taking it since I started noticing a mild case of facial wasting (and learning that it was one of the worst offender in causing lipoatrophy). Now, 6 months later after stopping all treatment ( my t4 cell count is high so I can afford it ), it seems that my lipoatrophy continue to worsen (and other person I talked to told me the same thing happened to them)!!! Is it possible or his my mind playing tricks on me. Does taking AZT (and d4t) kills mitochondria and that, once we take it, the best we can do is slow the inevitable destruction by switching regimen? Thanks

Hello, and thanks for posting.

In general, lipoatrophy tends to improve when Combivir (AZT +3TC) is stopped (especially if you were on it for about a year). So your situation is unusual. Are there any other potential explanations like weight loss or illness of any type?

I would predict that the mild facial wasting you describe should stabilize and then start to improve with time. If this does not happen, then a facial filler to return to your normal appearance would certainly be appropriate.

Good luck!

Radiesse technique
Doctors in LA for affordable treatment of facial wasting