Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Update on my use of Tamoxifen for gynecomastia and warning

A while back I mentioned my using Tamoxifen to help get rid of Sustiva induced gynecomastia.. Long story short I found out the hard way it gave me hypercoagulation which led to a blood clot in my face (after Sculptra injections) and this has led to a horrible scar... Not only that, I belive the Tamoxifen worsened my lypoatrophy in my face, undoing the benefits of Sculptra and it also made my skin very dry, and my hands and feet bony. I would caution anyone from using Tamoxifen... It was a nightmare. After the Tamoxifen was out of my system the Doc checked my blood to make sure I was not hypercoagulating due to hiv meds or some other problem, and I was not, it was the Tamoxifen.. It was very scary and I could have had more than just a bad scar I could have died. Now it even seems now the Sculptra no longer works (I feel due to the past Tamoxifen use or my body has become immune to Sculptra) so I have switched to Artefill. I just wanted to put this out there so hopefully someone will here this warning and not go this route in treating gyno..And the Tamoxifen was prescribed by a great Doc and the Sculptra by a great Derm...please post this I would not want this to happen to anyone...I have seen other postings where people use this or drugs like it for gyno and it really can be a nightmare...

Thanks for the update on your situation.

One of the general principles of medical management is to try not to use a second medication to treat side effects from another medication if the causative medication can be changed.

Now that Isentress and other medications are available, my first thought would be to change Sustiva to Isentress for management of Sustiva-related gynecomastia.

Thanks again for posting.

Concern about Phthalates in PMMA
Will lipoatrophy improve after Truvada switch?