Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Concern about Phthalates in PMMA

I have read about PMMA in some of your previous answers and I like the idea that it is permanent. I was doing some googling to see if I could find anything about negative side effects before I take the plunge and came across a website that mentions that PMMA contains DBP Di-(n-butyl) phthalate. Is it possible that once implanted, the phtalates could leach out of the PMMA and cause problems?

The following is the URL where I read this.

http://www.sailhome.org/Concerns/BodyBurden/Burdens/Phthalate.html

The following answer comes from a colleague who is an expert in PMMA manufacturing.

Phthalates are used in some plastics (usually vinyls and ethylenes) to give them flexibility. To my knowledge, no one has ever used it in PMMA microspheres, as all applications require rigidity and surface hardness. Besides, all PMMA used for implant is tested for purity using HPLC, and any even trace amounts of phthalates would certainly show up in that assay, and again in the testing for residual monomers.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

bio alcamid removal
Update on my use of Tamoxifen for gynecomastia and warning