Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

bio-alcamid complications
Oct 14, 2009

Hello You mention a few times of late onset complications of bio-alcamid. Can you describe how one would know that an infection is occuring (symptoms?) You also mention that you believe there are better options - but I am not sure I have seen you state what you believe these are. Do you believe there is a better permanent filler or are you relying on the use of costly temporary fillers like sculptra instead?

I have had bioalcamid for 4 years now and while I admit that there are bumps I'd like to do without, the change is still magnitudes better than before treatment. However, I am now concerned about two things 1) longevity without complications 2) ability to supplement with sculptra to smooth bumps which my doctor is now recommending

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The symptoms of infection include redness, increased warmth, swelling, and tenderness of the implant. If an infection occurs, it would become obvious quite quickly.

The options for treatment of facial lipoatrophy that I think are better include Sculptra, Radiesse, and PMMA. Sculptra and Radiesse are temporary and PMMA is permanent. All of these products are too expensive in my opinion, but Sculptra and Radiesse have patient assistance programs (in the United States) for those with lower incomes.

I share your concern about longevity without complications, which is the main issue with Bio-Alcamid. There is a small risk of late infections that may crop up years after the implant is placed. There is also a small risk that if the Bio-Alcamid implant is inadvertently punctured during a touchup treatment with another product that infection may result.

This does not mean that you need to live with the contour irregularities, but the treating doctor needs to know where the Bio-Alcamid is, and not to hit it with the needle.

Good luck!

Previous
facial wasting, body wasting
Next
PMMA in USA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.