The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any filler in the states being used for buttocks?

Sep 2, 2009

I know in other counties they are allowed to use other fillers for buttock wasting, but do we have anything here that will help? I realize the volume needed would be expensive regardless..Is anyone offering anything off label even?

Response from Dr. Pierone

The short answer is no.

We have no filler options for buttock lipoatrophy in the United States. Silicone implants are available, but are expensive, and the outcomes are not always so great.

The permanent filler PMMA seems to work best, and the U.S. form of this product (Artefill) is cost prohibitive for buttock use. For buttock lipoatrophy, the best option is a trip to Brazil or Mexico for the PMMA products that are available there. Dr. Luis Casavantes in Tijuana is a friend and colleague of mine and has extensive experience with PMMA for buttock reconstruction.

With regard to Artefill, the product is also cost prohibitive even for the relatively modest volumes needed for correction of facial lipoatrophy. In my opinion, this is an outstanding product that can produce durable benefit when used by an experienced injector. The FDA indication is for cosmetic use, but it certainly works well for HIV related facial lipoatrophy.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

Sculptra fluctuations
Low Dose Naltrexone effectiveness

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint