Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Switching meds after Atripla

I've been on Atripla for several years now but a recent jump in my viral load (2,600) has my Dr. recommending changing meds. My new meds will be: Norvir - 1x / day Viread 1x / day Reyataz 1x / day AZT 2x / day

Should I be concerned with facial wasting with this new combo? I've had problems with this in the past.

Thank you, RS

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The part of this regimen that concerns me is the AZT since this is one of the culprit agents most related to lipoatrophy.

In many cases, a boosted protease inhibitor (Norvir+Reyataz) plus one nucleoside (Viread) is potent enough to maintain viral suppression. So the AZT would likely not be necessary. If needed, Isentress could be added to this regimen instead of the AZT.

Good luck!

Radiesse treatment in Fort Lauderdale
Experiencing facial and body wasting on Zerit, Epivir, and Sustiva