Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Lipodystrophy on Trizivir, now what?

I did well on Trizivir for years but then got tired of the lipodystrophy and decided to try something diffrent. My doc suggested Atripa but after one dose (at night) the next morning I couldnt walk straight and felt super weird, almost like I was high. My viral load is undetectable and my t cell count is in the 900's. I've been positive for 14 years and have never been sick. I am a 52 year old woman and have lipo really, really bad. Can you suggest a lower dose medication that I can ask my doctor to prescibe. I have begged him to just give me AZT but he is so sure it isnt enough; I think many of us are super overmedicated.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

AZT is one of the causes of lipodystrophy, so even if monotherapy with this agent were effective (it is not), this would not be the direction to head. Another approach would be to combine the integrase inhibitor Isentress (raltegravir) with Truvada. This would avoid the cognitive side effects of Atripla, but would likely be as effective.

Good luck!

Serostim and facial fat
Radiesse treatment in Fort Lauderdale